Human Resources Generalist
Reference Number: 20221109.01
Hope’s Home has an exciting opportunity as an HR Generalist in our Regina location!
Our HR team is small but mighty! We look after a wide scope of HR responsibilities to ensure our people have what they need so they can provide exceptional care for the children at Hope’s Home.
We work hard, we are passionate about what we do and we like to have fun!
If you want to be a part of a very special organization doing incredible work for children in our province, please read on, explore our website and apply.
The Human Resource (HR) Generalist provides a wide range of support to the organization’s HR needs. The HR Generalist independently orchestrates various HR functions on a provincial level, while enforcing best practice and ensuring quality control of HR practice within the locations. Reporting to the Senior Manager of HR, the HR Generalist assists in the development and implementation of HR programs, policies and processes, documentation, and resources, as well as trains various levels of employees in performing them. The HR Generalist collaborates daily with all levels of management to answer questions and provide guidance on HR related topics. This position is located in Regina, SK.
General HR Duties.
- Manage general HR communications and address inquiries through the HR email and other communication methods.
- Coach and provide day to day training to the HR Admin assistant in all aspects of the work. This includes activities such as monitoring the administrative work to ensure accuracy and completeness, advising, providing feedback, and monitoring to ensure changes are made.
- Collaborate with and delegate to the HR Admin assistant various tasks such as administrative work, reference checks, communications, running HR reports among other admin requirements.
- Ensure Hope’s Home policies and practices are in alignment and adhere to various legislative acts and requirements of the following (not limited to):
- Saskatchewan Employment Act
- Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Provincial and Federal Human Rights Legislation
- Workers Compensation Board
- Saskatchewan Immigration Nomination Program (SINP)
- Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
- Consult on the process and compliance of HR documentation with all levels of the organization.
- Collaborate with managers when developing and/or updating job descriptions.
- Conduct exit interviews.
- Communicate to the applicable audience changes to or new processes, guidelines, legislations, and information.
- Track and produce reports and summaries of HR activity as necessary for various levels of management. This includes activities such as Employee Relations, IRCC/SINP and WCB.
- Provide insights and ideas to strategic initiatives that impact the HR team and its work including, organizational structure, HR programs, policies, and procedures.
- Receive and respond to requests from external agencies, including governing bodies, statistical inquiries and vendors that could potentially serve the organization.
- Provide back up for the HR Generalist (North) and the HR Admin Assistant as needed.
- Identify organizational recruitment gaps and provide ideas and strategies to address and implement solutions.
- Consult with hiring managers to troubleshoot local recruitment issues and provide suggestions to address.
- Consult with hiring managers on process and requirements of the recruitment cycle.
- Support recruitment initiatives by screening applications, schedule and conduct interviews when needed, recommend and determine best candidate, and communicate with successful and unsuccessful candidates.
- Create interview questions and guides, draft letters of offers.
- Provide verbal offers, negotiate wages and other employment details, and communicate details to hiring manager, as required.
- Monitor the efficiency of the recruitment process using the HRIS system.
Training and Development.
- Deliver individual training to onboard new administrators and managers (for example, HR documentation, HR processes, WCB forms and processes).
- Identify gaps in skills and competence and search for training applications in HR Downloads that address these gaps.
- Assign HR Download training to various levels of the organization.
- Perform ad hoc audits to ensure assigned training is being completed.
- Research training opportunities to fulfill organizational requirements, identified gaps, and provide recommendations.
- Coordinate training with external providers and Hope’s Home.
- Consult and advise with all levels of the organization regarding employee performance management, progressive discipline, training, and other employee relations issues.
- Facilitate employee relations meetings with management and/or senior management, listening to concerns while providing insight and guidance, and making recommendations for appropriate actions.
- Conduct harassment investigations and recommend a course of action.
- Identify gaps in HR policy and procedures and research and develop HR policy and procedures for approval.
Compensation and Benefits.
- Assist in the evaluation of Hope’s Home compensation and benefits program.
- Run reports and provide information and data as required.
- Respond to questions from all levels of employees regarding eligibility, process, and the programs.
Occupational Health and Safety.
- Create a psychologically safe work environment (resolve conflicts in respectful ways and ensure a fair resolution, provide an environment where employees feel safe and supported to share ideas, listen, learn from, and seek to understand the ideas of others).
- Complete all required OHS training.
- Monitor, report and resolve any safety hazards in the work environment.
- Create and deliver organizational OH&S training on forms, processes and compliance as processes are initiated and/or changed.
- Deliver individual training on OHS* requirements and compliance as needed.
- Conduct a regular audit to ensure the Health & Safety Program components are accurate and up to date (timing to be determined and responsibility for this).
- Develop new Health and Safety Program components as needed.
- Monitor to ensure OHC meetings are being conducted and review quarterly OHC meeting minutes.
- Monitor OH&S contraventions and communicate with locations on necessary actions.
- Provide the action plan to address contraventions to the Senior Leader.
- Oversee WCB claims and employee accommodations:
- Consult and advise on WCB process and actions when an employee gets hurt, including when to request the Functional Abilities Form.
- Review all WCB paperwork to ensure accuracy and compliance.
- Collaborate with Service Hospitality to ensure Hope’s Home OHS Program is complete and in compliance with OHS legislation.
- Minimum Diploma in Human Resources or relevant post-secondary education in a related field plus 3 years experience in Human Resources generalist role or a similar combination of education and experience.
- CHRP certification an asset.
Skills and Abilities.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in human resources.
- Strong collaborator and team player; able to establish and maintain effective and professional working relationships both internally and externally.
- Excellent listening skills and excels in both written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated conflict-resolution skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Effective problem solving and independent decision-making abilities.
- Knowledge of employment and OHS legislation.
- Intermediate computer skills in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, and database packages (i.e., MS Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, and SharePoint).
- Maintain confidentiality of all internal matters pertaining to the organization and its operations.
- Work hours – Monday to Friday, typical business hours with some flexibility
- Eight hours a day – 40 hours a week.
- Travel to locations required.
- Occasional overnight travel required.
- Long periods of time sitting.
- Extra hours in addition to the standard workday may be required at times.
Job Type: Permanent Full Time
Salary Range: $56,000 to $63,000
Application Deadline: November 25th, 2022