Early Learning & Childcare Manager
Reference Number: 20230307.02
The Early Learning & Childcare Manager is overall accountable for leading and directing all aspects of Hope’s Home daycare operations, ensuring all legislated requirements are followed. Through their interactions with staff, children, parents/caregivers, and supporting professionals, the Manager works to ensure the culture of the work environment is in alignment with Hope’s Home Vision, Purpose and Values. All daycare employees at the centre report into this position. This position reports directly to the Senior Manager, Early Learning Centres.
Why choose Hope’s Home?
Hope’s Home offers unique and competitive benefits, beyond just monetary value. We believe that organizational culture is the most important factor and we work hard to make sure it is top-notch and suited for everyone. A glimpse at some of our benefits:
- Be confident in your job, knowing that you have the full support of your team and access to the resources you need. Hope’s Home prides themselves in being a team-oriented work environment.
- Have the opportunity to create strong bonds and relationships with the children you work with and experience the pride and happiness when they accomplish their goals.
- Health and dental is 100% covered by Hope’s Home. We also offer long term disability, life insurance, and critical illness packages.
- With education being a main philosophy, we greatly encourage professional development opportunities, and we make it as easy as possible to access them.
- We are a family first working environment. This means we understand that things happen, and situations need to be dealt with. Whether that’s a family emergency or a minor crisis – you can ask for the time you need, stress free.
- 25% off discount for childcare services and first priority admission so you can work without the stress of traditional childcare fees.
- You pick your pension contribution (between 1-5%) and Hope’s Home will match it up to 5%. Meaning you could be putting away an extra 5% of your earnings for FREE.
- Oversee the implementation of high-quality early learning programs that align with the vision and principles of:
- Hope’s Home
- Play and Exploration
- The Emergent Curriculum
- Early Intervention
- Ensure compliance with legislation and agreements that are relevant to the program component of the organization e.g. Child Care Regulations,2015. (The JUS is specifically responsible for Section 14, Philosophy and Program.)
- Provide leadership to the staff in the early learning program by mentoring and guiding them as necessary in developing high quality programs in alignment with our values and principles. Enhancing their skills and understanding and promoting participation in reflective practice and co-teaching.
- Monitor the early intervention program for children (developmental checklists; activities are age appropriate; assess delays; advocate for the needs of the child).
- Approve new Behaviour Intervention Plans prior to implementation.
- Admit/discharge children into Hope’s Home daycare program based on criteria and enrollment needs.
- Responsible for maintaining enrollment of children to maximize staffing ratios and meet budget requirements.
- Provide tours and information about the centre to new staff and community stakeholders.
- All other duties as needed and directed by the Senior Manager of Early Learning.
Parent Involvement and Communication
- Implementation of the child intake process.
- Participate in tours with new families upon acceptance to the program.
- Communicate with parents/caregivers of children who attend Hope’s Home, gathering feedback and addressing any questions and/or concerns.
- Engage families/caregivers in discussions on child development and provide documentation for further assessment.
- Create content and develop communication to parents/caregivers regarding program changes and updates.
- In partnership with the Parent Advisory Committee (PAC) Chair, plan, organize and conduct a minimum of six Parent Advisory Committee (PAC) meetings each year.
- Implement Hope’s Home’s policies and procedures for early learning and childcare programs.
- Provide required reports directly to Ministry of Education, Early Years branch regarding licensing, grants, and concerns of the centre.
- Report directly to Ministry of Social Services regarding subsidy and child attendance records.
- Report directly to the Home Care team to submit unit hours and new medical intakes.
- Report directly to Senior Manager of EL&C and Provincial Nursing Manager in collaboration with SNRA and SALPN any concerns of nursing competency. Submit med error documents where necessary.
- Review, sign off, and file Ministry of Education Minor Injury Reports.
- Support the completion of the Unusual Occurrence Report (conduct investigation if necessary) and submit to Senior Manager for review and Board signature. Submit finalized report to Ministry of Education Early Years Consultant.
- Report any parent/caregiver feedback to Senior Manager Early Learning.
- Report any maintenance needs of the centre as per building management requirements (Nicor, Facilities Manager, Johnsons Control).
- Evaluate and authorize expenditures within the approved operational budget for early learning and childcare program (groceries, programming, household, small equipment etc.).
- In partnership with Finance Team, oversee and participate in communication with families who have overdue receivables.
- Approve and submit staff timesheets.
- Demonstrate and promote Hope’s Home values and creates an engaging and inclusive work environment.
- Create and maintain effective communication with the team.
- Hire, train and supervise all ELC staff members:
- provide new employee orientations,
- provide regular feedback and conduct evaluations,
- conduct investigations and progressive discipline.
- Oversee personnel files are complete and all internal documentation on employees updated as required.
Occupational Health and Safety
- Create a psychologically safe work environment (resolve conflicts in respectful ways and ensure a fair resolution, provide an environment where employees feel safe and supported to share ideas, listen, learn from and seek to understand the ideas of others).
- Overall responsible for the Occupational Health and Safety of the centre.
- Attend OHS Committee meetings,
- Participate in and provide OHS training,
- Monitors, reports and resolves any safety hazards in the work environment.
- Oversee and ensure the physical environment is kept to standards identified in OHS legislation.
- Completion of Early Childhood Education Diploma (Level III) – Mandatory for the JUS model – OR- Bachelor of Education Degree with integrated daycare experience.
- Minimum of five years integrated daycare experience.
- Minimum of five years supervisory experience.
- A combination of minimum education requirements and work experience will be considered.
- Monday to Friday
- Hours of work flex between 7:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.
- Need to respond to after hours emergencies
- Available to receive the morning sick calls in the absence of the Assistant Manager, ELC
Required Interpersonal & Professional Skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills are required.
- Experience with Emergent Curriculum and the Reggio Approach is an asset.
- Related training working with children with special needs is an asset.
- Proficient use of computers.
- Passion for working with children from diverse groups is essential.
- Maintain confidentiality of all internal matters pertaining to the organization and its operations.
- Physical ability to perform and safely work with objects or persons of varying sizes:
- Exertion of ~100 lbs of force occasionally;
- Exertion of ~50 lbs of force regularly;
- Exertion of ~25 lbs of force continuously.
Job Type: Permanent Full Time
Shifts: Monday to Friday
Location: Warman Early Learning & Childcare Centre
Application Deadline: April 3rd, 2023